Thursday, July 17, 2014

Industrial-Style Mason Jar Vase Tutorial



Folks, as this week draws closer to an end, I'm getting more and more excited about heading to the beach for some fun and family time.  But I'm also feeling a little overwhelmed with all that I have to get done before we leave Saturday.  Of course, all the laundry has to be done so we don't go nekkid the whole week.  I don't like to come home to a dirty house, so I'll need to do a little cleaning too.  The Hub and Bub both need new swim trunks and I have a lot of food to buy and pack.  Trust me, fighting all the tourists at the one nearby grocery store is not something I look forward to, so this year we're bringing everything we can with us.  And of course, I need to schedule some posts to run while I'm gone so y'all don't miss me too much! ;)

But, as promised, today I have a tutorial for you on how to make Mason jar vases.  I love these because they're kind of rustic and industrial looking.  The best part is, they're SUPER easy to make.  Here's what you'll need:

Mason jar - any size you want
Stainless steel fasteners (found in the plumbing dept. of your local home improvement store)
5 1/2" x 7" piece of wood or wood cut to size for your jar
Paint or stain for wood if you choose
Hammer
Small nails or screws
Flat head screwdriver or drill
Eye hooks
Wire and/or twine

So, you start with your piece of wood.  I painted mine with CeCe Caldwell's Simply White chalk paint and then used some dark wax to age it.



I used really small nails to secure the fastener to the board.  You could use screws here, but I didn't have any small enough on hand, so I went with the nails and they worked just fine.


I got six of these these awesome Ball Mason jars at Wally World for about $10.  This green is so pretty. They also have them available in blue, but I think you have to order them from their website.  I haven't seen them in stores lately.  Of course, best case scenario would be to use an antique blue mason jar if you have one.  I heart the old ones...

Place the jar inside the fastener, slide the fastener together and tighten the screw with a flat head screw driver.  I actually ended up using my cordless drill and it worked great.

Screw two eye hooks into top of board to attach wire or twine for hanging.  If you didn't want to do the wire or twine, you could always place a picture hanger on the back

Here's one using twine as a hanger.  The green eye hooks came off of something else and I thought they were the perfect shade to go with the green jar.

And now, just because I love y'all...a bonus project!

I made this one as well, with just a little twist on the original.  I got these faceted jars at Goodwill and thought they'd be cute painted.  I used my favorite color, American Paint Company's Liberty, and sanded them lightly.  This board is 6" x 12".  I wrapped the burlap around the board and stapled it to the back.  Cute, yes?  I love it!  I hung it in the hall bath to hold the Bub's stuff that is usually laying all over the counter.  We'll see how long he uses it.

These little vases can be used for so many things - flowers, herbs, silverware, utensils, makeup brushes, paint brushes, pens - the list goes on and on.  Next time, I think I'll use some old barn boards to make these, just to give it a little more rustic appeal.  What do y'all think?  Let me know in the comments and have a fabulous day!

Toodles,

No comments:

Post a Comment