Monday, June 9, 2014

Trash Talk

Howdy folks!  I hope everyone had a great weekend.  I had a lot to do to get cleaned up from the mess I left getting ready for the Farmer's Market Craft Fair.  The sale last weekend went VERY well - I sold almost everything I had!  Seriously.  Aside from a couple of chalkboards, everything I had left fit into two small laundry baskets.  So I was back out to the thrift stores and yard sales looking for more treasures to transform :).  In addition to the those searches, I picked up this "trashy" little dresser off of Craigslist...


And by "trashy", I mean it was in pretty rough shape.  My Dad went with me to pick it up and our conversation went like this: He said, "It looks like something you'd pick out of the garbage".  And I was all like, "I know, I LOVE it!!".  And then he was all, "You're weird.  But if you like it...".  Yes, it was painted a boring gray, was missing some hardware and the track for the middle drawer, but it's exactly what I was looking for.  I guess it just goes to show you - one man's "trash" is his little girl's "treasure"!

We have a student living with us for a couple of months this summer and this will be the perfect small dresser for her clothes.  So I set out Saturday to make it fabulous with some white chalk paint and antiquing wax.  I bought some new knobs for the top drawer and rigged up a fix for the drawer slide.  I think it turned out great and I absolutely ADORE it!  See what you think...







I love the rustic green top.  It looks a lot brighter than it is in the picture above, it's really a soft sage-y green and actually looks great in the blue spare bedroom.  The roughness of it kinda makes it feminine and masculine at the same time.  Bonus - it fit perfectly in the ONE spot I had for it!  If it turns out later that I don't need it or have a place for it, I can sell it or send it off with the Bub to a future college apartment. But I'm pretty sure I'm keeping it :).

Speaking of the Bub, his end of the year band banquet was Tuesday night and I'm super proud to announce that he was presented with the "Blond Bombshell" award.  What a tremendous honor.  Just kidding - the kids give each other silly awards at this thing and I guess that was the best they could come up with!  He's made quite the transformation this year as far as his fashion sense and clothing style.  Finally, no more South Park t-shirts and cargo shorts - he now dresses very nicely and looks so handsome every day.  And now with his blond hair and recent sun tan, I guess he does look like a blond bombshell - to the girls anyway!  But on a serious note, what I'm really super proud of is that he has been chosen as one of two Drum Majors for the marching band next year.  He is SOOOO excited.  Since he's decided on Music Education as his career path, I think it's going to be a great opportunity for him to get some leadership experience.  As for myself, I may have some great news to share later this week or early next week.  Here's a hint...I may be going RETAIL!!

Tell me about your latest "trashy" treasure in the comments - I'd love to hear all about it!

Today I'm linking to the following parties:
http://boogieboardcottage.blogspot.com/2014/06/welcome-to-179th-masterpiece-monday-and.html
http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2014/06/before-and-after-wednesday-week-18.html

Toodles,

No comments:

Post a Comment